As a citizen of the Galveston Bay area, you enjoy many of the benefits the estuary has to offer — from supporting the local economy to providing recreation and quality of life. At the same time, your daily activities impact the bay. If you live in the Houston-Galveston area, you also most likely live in the Galveston Bay Watershed, so what you do on land potentially affects the bay and its inhabitants.
You can help Galveston Bay by learning more about the estuary and its environmental challenges and becoming involved in its protection!
Take action at home to protect the bay:
- Reduce water consumption by utilizing native plants and appropriate landscapes and in-home water conserving measures. This also helps minimize the amount of fertilizers and pesticides needed.
- Recycle and minimize household waste to help reduce the amount of habitat lost to dumps and landfills.
Volunteer to protect the bay:
- Attend trash pickups or wetland plantings in your community.
- Develop environmental projects for your neighborhood.
- Serve on local parks and planning boards.
- Volunteer with local organizations.
Get out and enjoy the bay!
- Drive and Discover Galveston Bay – A guide to take you around the bay.
- Visit a Galveston Bay Estuary Nature Center, Nature preserve, State park or Wildlife refuge.
- Go to a nature festival.
- Attend Artist Boat event.
Learn about public health issues related to seafood consumption and water recreation.
For volunteer opportunities with the Estuary Program, please contact Mary Villareal at (281) 486-1241 or email@example.com
For assistance or to obtain more information, contact us